Making a Complaint

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned, and this may be the approach you try first.
We want to re-assure our patients, carers, and patient representative that the practice will not discriminate against any patients that feels the need to complain. We believe that whatever has gone wrong we would like the opportunity to put thing right. Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily.
In any event, this should be:
• Within 12 months of the incident,
• or within 12 months of you discovering the incident.

If you are a registered patient, you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. 

We can provide you with a separate complaint form to register your complaint and this includes a third-party authority form to enable a complaint to be made by someone else. You can provide this in your own format providing this covers all the necessary aspects.

Send your written complaint to:
Miss Laura Millington
Deputy Practice Manager

What we do next

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt within 3 working days and aim to have investigated the matter within 28 working days. You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue. If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.

When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined and a final response sent to you. Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with. 

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.

Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else

We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality. If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with someone else about it. Please see the Complaints Form which contains a suitable authority for the patient to sign to enable the complaint to proceed.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter. Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply. We may still need to correspond direct with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party, and this depends on the wording of the authority provided.

If you are Dissatisfied with the Outcome

You have the right to approach the following:
NHS England
Write to: The Complaints Manager, NHS England, PO box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT
The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP
Tel: 0345 0154033

For complaints relating to secondary care (i.e. hospitals) or community services, please write to:

Patient Advice & Liaison Service, FREEPOST RTCH-KZJE-JULT, South Nottingham CCG’s, Civic Centre, Arnot Hill Park, Arnold, NG5 6LU
Tel: 0800 028 3693
If you require assistance or support in making a complaint about the NHS you may wish to contact POhWER. POhWER is independent from the NHS and governed by a Board of Trustees and members who are users of the NHS and other public services. Tel: 0300 456 2370 (charged at local rate)

Making a Complaint About Your Care

To make a complaint about your care or a service you have accessed, please download the form linked below. 

Complaints form- patient's own complaint.docx

Once completed, please either hand the form in at reception or email the form to

Making a Complaint on Behalf of Someone Else

To make a complaint about the care or a service someone else has accessed, please download the form linked below. 

Complaints form- complaints on behalf of person(s).docx

Please note- you are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. 

Once completed, please either hand the form in at reception or email the form to