Are you an unpaid carer?
What is an unpaid carer?
An unpaid carer is someone who cares, free of charge, for a family member or friend who has an illness, disability, mental health problem or addiction that stops them from being able to cope without help. This can take 24 hours a day, or up to a few hours a week.
How do I register as an unpaid carer?
To register as a carer with the surgery, you will need to fill in a carer identification form. You can do that online, by clicking here. You can fill in a paper copy at the surgery, or you can download a copy of the form here.
What support is availablefor unpaid carers?
There is a lot of support available in the community for unpaid carers. To find out how the surgery can help you access this support, please ring 01159076960, and ask to speak to the Carers' Champion, Mirabelle.
For more information about caring, please download and read our carers' booklet. You can do so by clicking here.
Support for unpaid carers
There is a lot of support for carers, both in the local community and online. If you would like to discuss the support available in the community, please ring 01159076960, and ask to speak to the Carers' Champion, Mirabelle. To access support online, please feel free to click on the links below.
- Carers UK- they're here for unpaid carers with expert information, advice and support. Visit their website by clicking here, or ring 02073784999.
- Carers.org- they're working to make life better for every unpaid carer in the UK. Visit their website by clicking here, or ring 03007729600.
- NHS Social care and support guide- for information about support with social care. Visit the website by clicking here.
Support in the local community
- Nottinghamshire County Council- to find out about support offered by the council, please visit their website by clicking here.
- Carers Hub Service can offer local and practical support to carers in Nottingham. Please click here to learn more.
- To find out about the carers information sessions, please click here.
- Support for young carers-click here to learn more.
Support with caring for someone with dementia
- Dementia Wellbeing Service- for support with living with and caring for dementia. Visit their website by clicking here, or download their official leaflet here.
- Memory Club- for more information, download the official flyer here.
- Radford Care Group are running a special programme of support sessions for carers of people with dementia. For more information, download the official flyer by clicking this link.
Financial support for caring
Help with claiming benefits for caring can be found online. Please click on the links below for more information.
- Benefits for carers
Directing carers to the benefits that can help them in their caring role
- Benefits for the person you care for
Advice and information on helping the person you look after get the benefits that they are entitled to
- Death and benefits
How your benefits maybe affected after the death of the person you look after and what happens to their benefits